5 little monkey’s

Sunday, November 15, 2009

Reality Check

13 years ago at 9:00 a.m. I showed up here. To do this. Then I turned right around to run back home because I forgot my slip, but that is another story...
It was like a fairy tale, really it was.
A perfect, fall day. Full of promise.
and promises.
But, I didn't know then what I know now.
Let me back up...
My cousin and I used to play house and we had dreams of the perfect man.
Oh, we had dreams...
Most of the times our dreams included two very handsome, very rich, and very famous men that would show up, sweep us off of our feet and we would have blissful lives with our gorgeous children.
We were hopelessly romantic. Think Little Women. (am I right, Tracee?)
Then, we grew up and reality set in.
This is where the things I didn't know comes in...
I didn't know that reality included things like getting pregnant 4 months after you get married and throwing up for 9 straight months.
I didn't know that when you have a husband who works full time and goes to school full time for the first 4 years of your marriage, and you have 2 kids in that time, that you feel like a single parent.
I didn't know that there would be so little money to go around in the beginning that you would live off of mac and cheese for 5 years.
I didn't know then that 13 years would bring about 4 bazillion diaper changes, 40 katrillion messes to clean, beds to make, boo-boo's to kiss, tears to wipe and loads of laundry to do. 7 moves, 2 dogs, 2 guinea pigs, lots of church callings and total exhaustion.
I didn't know then that sometimes we would disagree.
I can, in reality say, I didn't know how hard it would be.
But, I also didn't know that when it comes right down to it, reality is way better.
Because I married the sweetest man in all the world.
He was there to hold my hand through 5 pregnancies, he was there to eat macaroni and cheese with. He is there to help when I am literally drowning in laundry (we call it a laundry folding party). He is there when my heart hurts. He is a loving father. He has been in my corner every time-even when we both know I am wrong.
Just to clarify, He is not perfect.
But, I don't care. I like him just the way he is.
He has kept every promise he made 13 years ago and I love him for it.
This has been the best 13 years of my life.
Hands down.
Thanks to him.
Happy Anniversary to a man among men.
*post-edit note: after Jared read this, he thought since it was a post about him, he should get a little bit of Van Halen to go along with it. Those of you who know me well, know I would never put Van Halen on my blog. But, since it is our anniversary...and if you can stomach it...go here.

5 comments:

B and the boys said...

Happy Anniversary!!! You have created a wonderful family in those 13 lucky years. Isn't it fun to look back at where you have been and dream about where you are going on anniversaries? Wishing you many more happy years! B

Angela said...

Happy Anniversary! I LOVE this post...
(Tell Jerry Bob that the Van Halen was a nice touch!)

Schneiter family said...

Oh man lucky you 13 big ones. It kind of is still like we're playing house with those hot husbands and darling kids. Miss you:(

John and Jessica said...

Happy Anniversary! (belated anyway)

The Henricksen Journal said...

Awww... :) love you all.

Post a Comment